Geekfest is over! It was great getting to meet new people. To anyone who is interested in Tori's panel topics (corsets and post-apocalyptic painting) the materials from her panels will be posted here on our website soon, so keep an eye out! In other news all of the cosplay prints we had on sale at Geekfest are now available on our Etsy page. The props that were on sale will also be up on our Etsy page soon. This way you can have a piece of Cool By Proxy even if you don't want to buy an entire one of our costumes.
Edit: the props are now up on the Etsy page, along with a bunch of costumes!
After discussing the possibility for years, we're finally getting a booth at CTC Geekfest in Killeen, TX! We'll be there all three days, selling prints of our cosplay as well as selling prints of Tori's amazing art. For more information on our first time getting a table at a convention check out the events page!
Hey there folks!
Welcome to any new folks who we might have met for the first time at Dragon Con! There's a lot of cool stuff to check out on our site, including tons of photos of all of the characters we've done, recaps of past conventions, tutorials for building some of our more complicated props and costumes, and so much more.
We just got back from Dragon Con (as in literally just finished the drive back from Atlanta). In the coming days and weeks expect to see a lot of activity both here and our our various social media outlets (primarily Facebook - make sure you follow us!). We'll be uploading pictures taken at the convention, writing tutorials, continuing the updates to the site that I was working on back in July, and otherwise creating cool content for you all to enjoy. We'll also be actively accepting and working on commissions. All of that, however, will be AFTER we recover from Dragon Con and get over the inevitable con crud.
Over the course of the past week+ I've been gradually updating the look of the website! Apologies to anyone who might have visited and found it in a broken state - I really should set up a test server, but instead I work live. Apart from the visual change there have been some changes to the back-end as well:
- Switched from Galleria to Unite Gallery for all photo/video galleries. It gives a cleaner look AND better user experience on mobile.
- Revamped the Photographers page to be sexier.
- Added search functionality! It's far from perfect, but if you want to find every post that has ever mentioned a particular fandom or topic you can now do that.
- Tutorials now get pulled to the front page for better exposure
- Added share/tweet buttons to tutorials and blog posts
- Set up a commissions page to make it quick and easy to see if we're currently accepting commissions and a form to request a commission
- Sped up loading of images by building a MySQL backend for looking up images by tags or credit
- Automatically pull video data from Youtube to make sure we're always showing the most up-to-date information
- Add support for listing multiple costumes on a single day of an event (because when I set it up originally I didn't think we'd ever need that. I was wrong).
So, yeah! Lot's of changes. I still have a list of stuff I would love to add, but I have to get back to working on Dragon Con costumes! Maybe I'll get back to improving the site sometime in late September.
As you're almost certainly aware at this point, every year Tori and I do a new version of Hawkman and Hawkgirl. This year we'll be tackling a cyberpunk theme! This is really exciting, but it's also pretty different from past versions since it should feel clean and high tech. With that in mind I'm hoping to make the wings actually motorized this year! I tried to do that for the Atomic Hawks, but ran out of time to really work out the kinks. So this time, with a bit extra time before Dragon Con, I'm going to be taking a bunch of parts from ServoCity and doing two different versions of motorized wings. I'll try and take lots of pictures along the way and put up a tutorial or a walkthrough when I'm finished!
Full disclosure: by mentioning ServoCity I'll receive a discount on their products.
Welcome to Cool By Proxy Productions! We're a couple in and out of cosplay that makes incredible costumes and props in our free time.